On September 21, 2013, the Cool Spring Terrace Civic Association held its third annual block party. And even though rain was in the forecast, we had a splendid time! (It did rain late in the day, but not until after we consumed tons of food, played lots of games, and painted lots of faces.)
Here’s a quick recap of the day.
We were treated to some yummy cupcakes from Divine Cupcakes & Treats!
We enjoyed free hot dogs and hamburgers, hot off the grill!
We held a 50/50 Raffle (with all proceeds going toward the CSTCA).
The kids got to sit in a real fire truck!
We had lots of fresh, hot popcorn.
We had a scavenger hunt.
And a dessert competition…
Our esteemed judges worked hard to pick a winner….
But in the end, there really was no competition. Angie Pickwick’s “Dirt” recipe won by a landslide! Angie has kindly offered to share her recipe with us. (See Dirt Recipe, below.)
There was face painting.
And a soccer clinic…
In short, there was something for everybody, and a wonderful time was had by all! We had so much fun, we’re planning to do it again. See you at next year’s party!
This year’s block party would not have been possible without the tireless efforts of our planning committee and many others in our community. Let’s extend a huge thank you to them all for a job well done!
- Carol Hurwitch and Johnette Anderson-Kioko (Chair and Co-Chair)
- Oscar Gurrero (Soccer)
- Kim Crews (Scavenger hunt, music)
- Chris and Angie Pickwick (50/50 Raffle, popcorn machine, and dues)
- Ted Hull, Glenn Kirkland, and Nelson Fernandez (food)
- Jennifer Maragh and Divine Cupcakes & Treats
- State Senator Victor Ramirez (food tents)
- Margie Mickens (popcorn popping, welcome kits)
- Jon Robinson (Save the UMD Golf Course information)
- Carol Hurwitch and Lucia Serra (face painting)
- Andrea Kenner (music, photography)
- Hermitt Mosley and the Chillum-Adelphi Volunteer Fire Department (fire truck, and los Bomberos de Langley Park)
- William and Irene Cenac (electric hookups)
- Nancy Santiago (banner)
- Jennifer Ketcham (yard signs)
- Anyone else we might have missed… Thank You!!!
Here is Angie Pickwick’s Dirt recipe. Thanks, Angie!
2 boxes (regular size) of French Vanilla Instant Pudding
1 8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
1 block of Cream Cheese
1 large bag of Oreos
Mix pudding as directed on package. Soften cream cheese in microwave for 3-4 minutes on high. Mix cream cheese, pudding and Cool Whip together and chill for 30 – 60 minutes.
In meantime, use food processor or blender or salad shooter to mash cookies into small pieces that are consistency of dirt.
Layer the pudding mixture with cookies pieces, beginning and ending with cookie layer.
For kids, put gummy worms on top. For a neat presentation, line a clay flower pot with plastic wrap and put the Dirt in the pot with an artificial flower stuck in top.