Thanksgiving Service Invitation

The following Thanksgiving Service invitation from the Christ Scientist Church was extended to the members of the CSTCA:

Everyone is  invited to join us for a special Thanksgiving service on November 23 from 10:30 to 11:30 am. Christian Science churches throughout this country and in some other countries hold services on this day.

The one hour service includes the President’s proclamation and readings from the King James Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy.  There is also the opportunity for those attending to express their gratitude for God and His blessings.

Everyone is welcome.

Christian Science Society

8300 Adelphi Road

Hyattsville, MD

 

Advertisements

DPWT – Tree trimming at Riggs and Cool Spring Rd

Thanks to the requests by the CSTCA and several community members, tree trimming along Riggs and Cool Spring Rd was completed in late October by the Department of Public Works and Transit (DPWT), making it easier to navigate onto Riggs Road from Cool Spring Road.

As a reminder, county residents should use 311 Constituent Services to make any service requests with the county. All requests are logged in their system, and by receiving several requests for the same item, the county is made aware of priority requests. You can also dial 3-1-1 if you prefer to make a request by phone.

Meeting Minutes: August 2017

Cool Spring Terrace Civic Association Meeting, August 26th, 2017
Officers in Attendance: Marguerite Mickens-Mosley, President, Ikem Ukachu, Vice President and Michelle V. Rowley, Secretary.
Absent, Anika Halota, Treasurer.

I. Welcome/Gathering

The meeting was called to order at 11:07 a.m. with President Mickens‐Mosley presiding. Also in attendance were First Reader, Robert Snyder of the Christian Science Church, Council Member, Deni Taveras along with Michael Harris, Community Constituent Liaison.

II. Announcements and Officers’ Reports

  • Robert Snyder, First Reader of the Christian Science Church, where our meetings are held, took the opportunity to share a bit about the congregation and its ongoing activities and issues. He clarified that his position as First Reader functions along the lines of a brought equivalent as Pastor —Sunday services are held at the following hours: 10:30-noon and 7:30 – 9:00p.m. Theirs is a testimony format, the First Reader brings a sermon and then there are testimonies and sharing. All are invited.
  • First Reader Snyder then alerted the group to a problem they have had with land erosion and drainage that affects the property below (parking lot). The congregation is being asked to correct the drainage problem (approx. 40-50k). As the First Reader noted however, this erosion problem resulted, not from any action on their part, but building decisions that were made in the construction of the parking lot. The members present talked with Mr. Snyder about a range of corrective possibilities that included reforestation, legal consultation, and construction possibilities.
  • Treasurer Halota through President Mosley extended apologies for her absence from the meeting. President Mosley give the Treasury report stating the association presently has a balance of $1555.00. Two members paid dues and there was an expenditure of $35.00 used for photo copying the meeting notifications.
  • The minutes from June 2017 were read and approved.

III. Community Policing Update

Corporal Bhaskarnauth Tiwari (Cpl. T) was not present. The Corporal was celebrating his birthday. Happy Birthday Cpl. T.!

The good news is that there was no crime to report for the intervening period.

Old Business

Newsletter: The membership discussed the possibility of an electronic-copy of the newsletter because of the labor-intensive nature of copying and distributing to house-holds. Ideas for content were solicited. Please contact President Mickens-Mosley with your ideas.

New Business

  • A Nextdoor.com petition has been generated to start a bus service into Adelphi, because of decreased service from WMATA. President Mickens-Mosley will circulate petition when available, for us to support. Joel Ryerson agreed to be the point-of-contact on this initiative, working with Ms. Shelby, the originator of the petition.
  • Concern was raised about a perceived increase in residential sub-leasing. Community instability due to a constant flow of different people coming in and out of the community. Association is uncertain about how to address this. Council-member Taveras reiterated the need to pass legislation that would address over-crowding and was uncertain about options should the turn-over be a result of Airbnb services. She reminded the community that seniors must be allowed a 24-month mandatory lease in terms of housing, and provided an overview of three-part legislation – “Thriving Communities,” intended to alleviate housing. Details of this legislation also listed in August’s CSTCA Newsletter.
  • Licenses are also required if renting (75.00/yr). The community pointed to the need to go after the landlords, not the renters, when issues arise, given that owners, not renters, are responsible for upkeep and code enforcement. Council-member Taveras promised to follow up on specific locations that were identified as specific areas of concern in the community.
  • Speeding. Association members were reminded of the speed limit. Cpl. T has, when possible, been surveilling the community for speeders and caught approximately 8 different drivers within a short time span. All but two were of the speeders were residents of Cool Spring Terrace. Cpl. T has also sent in a request to support the existing crosswalk with signs or flashing light. Members have asked for a pedestrian signal at the crosswalk (Adelphi and 26th Place). Members were also reminded to not confront speeders themselves. Some drivers have been both belligerent and confrontational when stopped by community residents.
  • Residential parking. The community revisited this conversation on parking permits. A number of important concerns were raised in this discussion. Among these were concerns about the elderly in need of multiple care-givers, varying modes of access to online registration, concerns about whether registration would be assigned to a home or to a vehicle, nature of enforcement, and concerns about failing to have permit parking in light of the impending purple line and even further over-crowding. In addition to concerns about elder care, a member also made inquiries about any possible constraints that could be placed on visiting family members responsible for the care of aging parents. Vice President Ukachu is conducting additional research on this matter.
  • In response, members of the executive clarified that there is no cost to the community. There is no need to begin with the entire community, it is possible to begin with a few streets. A community based petition with a 60% threshold is required to initiate the process. There are also 72 hour visitors’ passes that are available. Inquiries will be made regarding issues such as long-term care, out of state tags and college students.
  • Members of the association recounted earlier parking horrors in relation to UMD football games, which resulted in “No Parking” signs being placed along Cool Spring Rd. and the median along Adelphi.

Council-member Taveras

Council-member Taveras spoke with the Association about ongoing legislative efforts that would empower citizens to argue their case the Nuisance Abatement Board. Concerns are presently raised via one or more agencies that will determine whether or not a case merits going before the Board. This legislation would empower citizens to raise these concerns and put a case together and bring it before the Nuisance Abatement Board. They Board itself can enforce their position by sending someone in violation to jail six months or fine to up to $1000.00. (For any additional information please see: CB-063-2017 AN ACT CONCERNING NUISANCE ABATEMENT BOARD for the purpose of amending the powers and duties of the Nuisance Abatement Board by authorizing the Board to enforce civil violations, and preside over administrative hearings pursuant to Subtitle 13, Division 12 of the County Code.)

For additional information on the Thriving Communities Overcrowding bill, which Taveras discussed further please see: CB -037-2017: Housing & Property Standards Law to Prohibit Overcrowding – An act concerning housing and property standards for the purpose of amending the Prince George’s County housing and property standards to address overcrowding. Taveras also noted that this legislation is not family specific but rather, guided by square footage/person. Therefore, it has the potential to close the loop
hole of folks identifying household inhabitants as “family members.”

Members of the association voiced skepticism over the introduction of new legislation given the non-enforcement of existing code and laws (e.g. trash, open drug dealing, beer houses etc.).

Council-member Taveras provided an update on the upcoming ground breaking for the Purple line and reminded members that there was a planned stop on Adelphi and University.

Impending zoning rewrite was said to be moving along slowly. No anticipated change to the community’s designation.

The Council-Member also highlighted other development efforts underway e.g. Riverfront West Hyattsville, Gin Warehouse which will now have 183 townhomes, 9000sq. ft. of commercial space and 4.5 acres of green space.

The members present then held an extended conversation with Council Member Taveras about the abutting forest, the Northwest Branch pathway and voiced concern that ongoing development plans can serve to remove the community’s environmental buffer, further compromise the water ways and place a greater burden on existing infrastructure (e.g. schools). The Association strongly encouraged the Council Member to think in more symbiotic and synergistic ways about the environment and the need for space “to develop.”

The Council Member then shared information about her upcoming Latino Diaspora Conference (Sept 30) as well as an anticipated conference to be held in January, 2018 on the African American Black Diaspora (Rolling Crest Community Center).

The association voiced its own commitment to intergroup dialog and referred to a desire to have meetings held in English/Spanish, as well as an interest in translating materials (e.g. newsletter) into Spanish. There was however, need of specific language expertise. President Mickens-Mosley noted that the community’s block party was beginning to help bridge these gaps, and voiced an interest in revisiting these gaps given the community’s growing population of Latino neighbors.

Meeting adjourned 1:08pm.

Next General Membership Meeting is scheduled for October 28, 2017.


CSTCA August Minutes 2017 (PDF file)

Meeting Minutes: June 2017

Cool Spring Terrace Civic Association Meeting, June 24, 2017
Officers in Attendance: Marguerite Mickens, President; Michelle V. Rowley, Secretary
Members in Attendance: Approximately 18

I. Welcome/Gathering

The meeting was called to order at 11:01 a.m. with President Mickens‐Mosley presiding. Also in attendance were Senator James Rosapepe, Delegate Barbara Frush and COPs Liaison, Corporal Bhaskarnauth Tiwari, Prince George’s Police Department.

II. Announcements and Officers’ Reports

  • Secretary Rowley explained why the minutes for the April meeting were
    circulated via email, rather than posted online ahead of the meeting (i.e.
    allows for correction of errors and any misrepresentation before becoming a
    public document). The membership voted and agreed to having the draft of the minutes circulated via email and posted online after they were read and
    approved.
  • The minutes from April 2017 were read and approved.
  • President Mickens Mosley conveyed apologies on behalf of Treasurer Halota
    for her absence and gave an update on the Associations funds as provided by
    Treasurer Halota. Currently, there is $1567.00 in the Association’s account.

III. Community Policing Update

Corporal Bhaskarnauth Tiwari (Cpl. T) provided an update on the following issues that were previously raised as concerns by the membership:

  • The incorrect turn sign at the Adelphi/ University intersection has been
    removed.
  • The military truck in the community is gone, but Cpl. T informed the community that the truck has historic tags, is legally registered and is therefore not in violation.
  • Abandoned vehicle on Adelphi Court and Chapman Road addressed and removed.
  • Cpl. T spoke to the difficulty of addressing the community’s problem with the dumping of mattresses. Follow up is contingent on catching the violation in process.
  • Homeless commune addressed. Property owner has cleaned the area and empowered Cpl. T to serve as “acting agent.” In the future, he can therefore request that they move.
  • Cpl. T alerted the membership to be on the lookout for cars parked in the community with illegal temporary tags showing a sample of a fraudulent TEXAS temporary tag.
  • Provided an overview of SmartWater Technology and provided the forensic kits to those members who were interested in registering their valuables with the PGPD/SmartWater Program.
  • Issues Raised with Cpl. T:

    • Members of the community continue to be concerned about folks speeding
      through the community
    • Drivers refusing to stop at crosswalk for pedestrians
    • Follow up needed on property code violations
    • Commercial parking issues continue (Cpl. T reminded folks to call to report
      these violations so that there is a record of complaints)

    Senator Rosapepe

    • Senator Rosapepe informed the membership that MD legislature is vigilantly attending to cuts that occurring at the federal level. They remain
      attentive to particular areas of vulnerability, areas such as health care, issues of reproductive health, food support for the elderly, among other things. He noted that if state programs are threatened as a result of federal cuts, the
      legislature will explore how they might supplement these programs to ensure that they continue.
    • Senator Rosapepe also noted that they were paying particular attention to
      the national healthcare debate. Delegate Joseline Peña‐Melnyk’s committee, he noted, is monitoring these debates and should the health care bill pass, will identify the aspects of Maryland’s healthcare system that are affected and take steps to rectify.
    • He informed the members that the State and Federal funds for the Purple Line have been appropriated and planning work is underway despite efforts to bring it to a halt.
    • He provided an update on the new middle school, needed to deal with overcrowding and a discussion about finding an alternative location to the
      Mother Jones site ensued.

    Delegate Frush

    Delegate Frush told the community that she and her colleagues were very
    committed to protecting the environment. She also outlined a number of measures that have been taken, along with legislation passed. These include the:

    • Personal Vehicles Rental Law
    • Increasing the number of bike paths on the roads
    • Preservation of forests
    • Support for the use of solar energy
    • Legislation banning fracking
    • Banning the use of polystyrene

    Issues Raised (Frush and Rosapepe)

    • Assurances for Maryland’s ongoing protection of the environment, in light of the decision to leave the Paris Accord.
    • Any possibility of drawing on the profits from MGM Grand to support ongoing efforts to improve Metro
    • Concern about the reduction in bus service
    • Increase energy efficiency by using solar panels on schools

    Old Business

    President Mickens‐Mosley gave an update on the following:

    • CSTCA Saturday morning walking group.
    • Neighborhood clean‐up. Member Hermitt Mosley suggested that this be held
      again since the group was only able to complete Cool Spring Road and Cpl. T
      indicated that the young members of his Explorers Program would be able to
      help should another clean‐up be held.
    • The membership revisited a discussion of residential permit parking

    New Business

    • Members volunteered to serve as block captains. Captains still needed for part of the community.
    • Member Hermitt Mosley revisited the idea of our annual block party
    • President Mickens Mosley circulated a draft of the forthcoming newsletter
    • The membership encouraged the leadership to provide an overview of the
      parking issue in the next newsletter
    • The membership extended their condolences to the friends and family of Ms.
      LaVerne Williams, member of the Lewisdale Citizens Association.
    • Member (Joel’s Ryerson) suggested that we invite our representatives and
      delegates to go walking with the CSTCA Walking Group so that they can see
      the code violations and needs of the community.

    The meeting was formally adjourned at 12:47

    Meeting Minutes: April 2017

    Cool Spring Terrace Civic Association Meeting, April 22nd, 2017 (Approved Saturday, June 24th, 2017.

    Officers in Attendance: Marguerite Mickens, President; Anika Halota, Treasurer; Michelle V. Rowley, Secretary

    Members in Attendance: Approximately 19

    I. Welcome/Gathering
    The meeting was called to order at 11:05 a.m. at which point the new association officers
    introduced themselves to the members in attendance. Also present were Deni. L. Taveras, Member, County Council – Prince George’s County, Carolyn Cook, Constituent Services Liaison, and COPs Liaison, Corporal Bhaskarnauth Tiwari, Prince George’s Police Department.

    II. Announcements and Officers’ Reports

    • The minutes from February 2017 were read and approved.
    • Incoming treasurer, Anika Halota, indicated that she was familiarizing herself with the transferred documents and would be better positioned to report on the Association’s finances at the next meeting. The previously announced CSTCA balance of 1527.01 was restated, along with a reminder that the membership voted to give 190.00 to the Christian Science Society as a gesture of appreciation for the use of their facilities.
    • Member Jon Robinson provided an update on plans underway to build a middle school behind Mother Jones Elementary. Mr. Robinson has been working to encourage the school board to broaden their search for an appropriate school site. In a meeting attended by Senator Rosapepe, Mr. Robinson proposed three alternative sites for consideration. While the suggestions were positively received, there was concern that they would not be taken up. The members voiced additional concerns about the potential conversion of the woods at University/Adelphi intersection (Cool Spring Forest) for development purposes. The discussion then turned to a preliminary exploration about how the Association might acquire said woods to stave off further conversion. This included a suggestion that the woods be given to the Association as “compensation” for lands lost due to the middle school construction. Councilwoman Tavares reminded members, this property is privately owned and did not foresee this to be a possibility.

    III. Community Policing Update
    The Association then heard from Corporal Bhaskarnauth Tiwari (Cpl. T), who has replaced Corporal Rickert as the Association’s COPs liaison. Corporal Rickert is now the liaison in the Kennilworth/Riverdale area.

    Cpl. T introduced himself, he invited us to use “Cpl. T” and provided his contact info:
    Phone: 240-762-1545
    Email: batiwari@co.pg.md.us

    He indicated that his preferred method of communication is email. Cpl. T invited the members to register on NextDoor.com, an online neighborhood networking website. It is a free service and once registered, allows you to directly communicate with your neighbors as well as Cpl. T, who is also a member. This site allows you to disseminate your own community information and you can post concerns to which the police can then follow up.
    By way of example, Cpl. T accounted for a situation where members inquired about the caution tape that had been posted at a home on Cool Spring Road, police follow-up revealed that a resident attempted to provide support to a utility company working in the area. The site was visited by the police and the resident was required to remove the tape. Cpl. T noted that similar issues could be posted to Next Door for police attention.
    In his community crime update, Cpl. T reminded members to not leave items in their car noting that GPS units were most susceptible to theft.

    Members raised a number of concerns with Cpl. T. These included:

    • Concerns about the dumping of large bulky items (mattresses in particular) on Cool Spring Road
    • Parking congestion on Osage and Pawnee. This congestion recently impeded an EMT vehicle
    • Concerns about commercial vehicles parking in the community e.g. 26th Place
    • The need for a traffic light on Cool Spring and Riggs to facilitate easier entry to and exit from the community
    • Speeding. Members asked about the procedure for installing a speed bump on 26th Place to help alleviate this problem.
    • Difficulty turning onto Adelphi from Cool Spring Road because of un-mowed and uncut hedges and bushes.

    Members also discussed the possibility of the Adopt-a-Road Program, which with county support, might allow for a more efficient maintenance of the Adelphi/Cool Spring intersection.

    In response to these concerns, Cpl. T noted that a speed bump and a traffic light would require a traffic study. He also noted that the Association would need to confirm who held responsibility for the identified roads, observing that some roads fell to the state, while others to the county. Cpl. T indicated that he would investigate the issues that fell under his purview (e.g. commercial parking, army truck, illegal dumping) and encouraged the Members to also raise these issues with Councilwoman Taveras. He indicated that he would inquire and convey the correct channel of communication for the traffic study.

    IV. District #2 Councilwoman Taveras
    Councilwoman Taveras presented an overview of the county’s 3.8 billion budget (FY 2017). Among the highlights, Councilwoman Taveras noted that $1.96 billion was earmarked for education – a projected increase of 30 million. She also noted the intent to hire an additional 200 police officers and 115 firefighters, 25 new deputy sheriffs and two new classes of correctional officers.
    Councilwoman Taveras stated that there was the need for a rat abatement program following on the county’s move to one day a week trash pick-up. She also signaled her intent to put forward legislation aimed to address residential overcrowding in the community.
    Members voiced their concern about the efficiency of trash collection, noting that the trucks were now too packed to function effectively. We were encouraged to report any incidents to 311.
    Councilwoman Taveras informed the membership that there were ongoing efforts to improve property standards code enforcement and that there was now Saturday area inspection. The county is also working to enforce the monitoring of abandoned vehicles.
    Taveras is also working toward having trash cans placed at bus stops.
    Members then voiced the need for a sidewalk at Cool Spring and Adelphi. Councilwoman promised to conduct a site visit as part of her follow up on this issue.
    Member Robinson used the opportunity to speak with Councilwoman Taveras about the loss of green space to the middle school at Mother Jones. Member Robinson argued that if the woods were acquired with “Open Space” funds, then there should be some form of replacement/exchange of open space.
    Councilwoman Taveras noted that the alternative locations suggested by Member Robinson might not be appropriate given that school sites/placement need to meet set criteria, which are hard to find and that there was a need to redress overcrowding in the county’s schools.
    The Councilwoman’s liaison officer, Carolyn Cook, encouraged the membership to contact her office with any ongoing concerns.

    V. Election of New Officers
    After some discussion, Mr. Ikem Ukachu was voted into the position of Vice President and joined the Officers at the table.

    VI. New Business

    • Members were encouraged to visit an upcoming an exhibit of art proposals for the new purple line metro – April 27, College Park Community Center, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
    • Members were asked to occasionally visit the Association’s Facebook page to avoid removal from the site.
    • Members were asked to convey any changes to their contact info. to the officers. The new membership form is on the Association’s website.
    • Member Kim Crews gave an overview of the upcoming community clean-up day (April 29).
    • Member Crews also noted that there were a number of homes in violation of property standards and asked for ongoing community code inspection.
    • The Association then began a preliminary discussion of residential permit parking and asked to read the materials distributed for a later conversation.
    • The Association discussed the ongoing late-night noise that extends into the community. There is some speculation that the site is on University Blvd. Cpl. T reminded the members that the county’s noise ordinance is a 24-hour ordinance, and the membership was informed that the Association has been registered as a party of record to the “Special Except” application made by Emily’s Restaurant; this request asks that they, Emily Restaurant, be allowed to play music beyond midnight. The Association extends its thanks to Member Robinson for drafting the opposition letter that was submitted on the Association’s behalf.
    • President Mickens-Mosley spoke to the need to re-engage block captains as well as the intent to begin a weekend walking group.
    • Treasurer Halota alerted members to a “Raincheck Rebate” program in the community and indicated that it was possible, in the future, to invite the Department of the Environmental Resources (DER) to do a presentation on the program.

    The meeting was formally adjourned at 1:08 and was followed by a community Seed Swap.


    April Minutes 22nd (PDF file)

    Family Picnic Community Fun Day

    Sunday, June 4th, 2017
    12:00pm – 3:00pm
    College Park Moose Lodge
    3700 Metzerott Road

    The College Park Moose Lodge at 3700 Metzerott Road is holding a Family
    Picnic Community Fun Day from 12:00 pm ‐ 3:00 pm! There will be face
    painting, a moon bounce, a dunk tank; hot dogs, hamburgers and other
    picnic foods available at a reasonable cost. The Prince Georges County Police
    will be available for children’s finger printing services and vendors will be
    showing and selling their items. If you’re interested in renting a table ($20
    per table) for garage sale/flea market items, contact Joan Ford via private
    message on NextDoor.com. If you are not a registered member of NextDoor
    (Adelphi/Riggs Rd Neighborhood), you may email me at
    mmickens@pboa.com and I will private message Joan Ford on your behalf.
    Rain date will be Saturday, June 10th.